Monday, July 17, 2017

Alice, LuLaRoe and the Cat

"Alice, LuLaRoe and the Cat" actually make-up three things this carving recipient really enjoys; Alice in Wonderland, the Cheshire Cat and LuLaRoe clothing. Actually, she enjoys Alice in Wonderland and LuLaRoe Clothing, I added the Cheshire Cat because when I think of Alice in Wonderland, I think of the Cheshire Cat!
I began using paper cut-outs to trace on my tupelo wood rather than sketching the main image onto the wood itself. It also helps out for the opposite side image. I simply reverse the cut-out and save a lot of time. Typically, I'll draw the main image I will be viewing from the front of the piece. I still end up scribing lots of other guide marks until I can readily make out the figure, then the fun begins!

Aha, I get two pieces out of one block for this carving.

 Both pieces coped out on the band saw.

 
I still catch myself not leaving enough wood for some features!
At first, I thought I had plenty of wood for the Cheshire cat's tail. NOT!
 
The Cheshire Cat gets a re-do on his tail. His new tail is held in place by a 1/8" dowel and glue.



 
With the Cat ready for paint I can move on to Alice.




 
Progres....


 
Alice is typically pictured with very tiny feet. Even though I made her feet larger than normal I have her sitting on a tree stump. When I work with a standing figure I prefer to plan that more of the figure is planted to the base for strength. Securing the two figures in this carving was simple as the bulk of the pieces are touching the base. Each piece is held in place with a screw and glued to the base.
 Sometimes I find that a piece can grow into much more work than originally planned. At first I thought I'd have the Cheshire Cat on a tree limb. I decided to K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple S.....) and sit Alice on a tree stump and put the cat on the "dirt!"
The "dirt" is glued wood particles from using course burrs.
 
I opted for the older image of the Cheshire Cat. The newer one just didn't fit the image I wanted.

 
 Well, this is my version of LulaRoe's leggings!
 
 Our main character, Alice.
 
 The Cheshire Cat says to Alice, "You don the strangest leggins for these parts."
 
You can tell by Alice's eyes that's just what she wants to hear!