Friday, July 1, 2016

"The Garden Will Keep Rob, We Got a Plane to Catch"

I don't know which takes longer, to carve the piece or read the title! My carvings are beginning to take on story lines. As I try to incorporate the ideas I am offered by friends of the recipient, I notice the pieces are becoming more complex. This piece has four separate pieces. That means a somewhat more complex piece evolves.

I always start out with a "story board." (Well, sort of!)
 
"Rob" is to be sleeping in his wheelbarrow. In order to fit "Rob" to the wheelbarrow, it had to be the first item to carve.

 I finally realized the need to finish off my supply of basswood. Basswood doesn't finish well with a rotary carver... no matter how smooth you try to make it.
 
I persevered and tried my best to smooth this piece out the best I could. I decided to hold off with the finish sanding of the wheelbarrow until I had "Rob" fitted to it.
  
Now to fit "Rob" to the wheelbarrow.
 
I wanted to make sure the piece of wood that would become "Rob" would fit the tub of the wheelbarrow before I sketched "Rob."

 
Finally, "Rob's" butt was fitted into his "seat!"

  
...and he was ready for the roughing out stage.
 
The suitcase and wine bottle were a great change of pace for this piece. They were simple and worked up quickly. However, the neck of the bottle below is too short so another wine bottle was needed.
 Time to get "Rob" into shape.


 To save some frustration of trying to make the carving look like the real "Rob," I opted to position his hat over his eyes and nose.
 Below the wheelbarrow and suitcase will be glued to the base with the help of "leg extensions" and dowels.
 
"Rob" has a woodscrew and glue holding him in place.
 
I cheated on the "Mickey" on his shirt, the wine bottle label and the suitcase travel stickers. They were printed out, cut out and glued onto the pieces. They were sealed on with the help of the clear satin finish coating.