Sunday, January 17, 2016

"Andy of Mayberry"

"Andy of Mayberry" is going to an Andy Griffiths super fan. "Andy" is carved from a 3"x4"x7" piece of tupelo wood.
Starting out on the band saw, "Andy" is trimmed and the carving blank is ready for carving.
 
The next stage is where nearly all of my pieces begin to change their shapes from my first drawing. The "front view" is always my most defined view of the piece. Once I begin to cut into the piece I loose the guide lines.
 
I almost never draw a side view before I take the piece to the band saw. Now I establish the center lines of each side.

 
Now for some side view drawings.
 
Side view drawings are typically rough and mainly to provide a "depth gauge" as to how best to remove excess wood to a point where I can "see" the bulk shape of the piece.

 
Roughing the piece.
This piece and a few others I was afforded the opportunity to remove the front drawing to help with the detail of the image to transfer the (hoped) appearance of the piece as it was first drawn.
 
This stage of carving is where you make or break the outcome of the piece. Cutting too much wood away is what you strive not to do. At this point, it's best to work the overall piece as you go.

 
Now you can begin to make out the "rough" image. Sometimes, I find myself always wanting to cut arm holes, leg spacing, etc. too soon only to notice I've made the forearm longer/shorter than the upper arm. Or too much is cut and the arm/appendage is too thin on the inside surface.
I'd say the "roughing" stage is the most frustrating part of any piece for this carver.
 
Rendering the piece.
But, once I'm past the roughing stage the Mastercarver rotary tool is working overtime!

 
Now, it's a matter of working the piece to its finish.

 
Not being an artist, I realize carving a person's face is not this carver's forte. Hence, I like to carve caricatures. With that said, I cover for a lack of facial image quality by adding supporting details that
bring the carving all together, i.e. (in this carving) fishing rod, badges, etc. For that matter, any detail that can be added to make a piece more visually desirable for a given recipient helps draw attention away from artistic flaws. Call it "artist expression!"




 "Andy's" fishing rod is complete with a rod, reel, fishing line and bobber.
(I admit I gave up on the idea of fishing line hoops and simply glued the line in a cut line in the rod.)
 
"Andy" is positioned on the base and the base lightly outlined in pencil.
 
A point is marked on the base that is at the thickest part of the carving that will allow one or two screws to be run through the bottom of the base and into the piece. The base will also be glued to the piece. After fitted to the base, "Andy" will be sealed with #209 stain and ready for paint.
 
"Andy" is finished and ready for his new home.



"Andy of Mayberry" was a fun piece to carve.