Tuesday, March 11, 2014

"Zoey & Abby"

"Zoey & Abby" are the love of a fellow worker who has provided me with a great deal of support and guidance during my new job transition. These (nearly identical) Schnauzers are the love of her live.
 
"Zoey & Abby" really tested my patience!
 
 Oh, their bodies worked up quickly.


 Nicely rounded bodies. Not too much detail, nice!

 But their heads, ears and facial hair took a toll on me.

Right from the "git-go" their ears just didn't seem to work up well for me.

I cut them off and started over.
 
 That didn't work. Let's try this again!

Yikes! That's enough wood for Abby's ears but Zoey's ears and muzzle were a different story.
 
OK, Abby's ears (on the right) were keepers. But Zoey's ears, eyes and muzzle hair was a fright!


"Off with her head!" (Too graphic to show this is a family blog!)
With her new head in place and plenty of wood to work with let's try this again.
Even though Zoey's ears were trimmed too narrow I knew when to give in.
 
"Zoey & Abby" are made of Tupelo wood and mounted on a piece of pine board.
The overall piece is 71/4" Wide, 7 1/8" Deep and 5" tall.
"Zoey & Abby" are each just over 6" long, just under 3" wide and under 4" tall.
 
Zoey and Abby were sealed and ready for paint!

 
Acrylic colors, clear Satin finish on everything but their eyes were painted with clear gloss.





 
Whew! "Zoey & Abby" required nearly double the time it takes me to complete a carving.
But it  was well worth the effort and I'm sure they will have a very good home.