Tuesday, May 14, 2013

"Studious Stitch"

Finally! I just finished my second "Stitch" for a friend. Actually, this guy is the "second" second stitch. You see I had to scrap the first piece because I cut too much wood too fast! Lesson learned!

"Studious Stitch" started out like all pieces, on the band saw. He's made of basswood, is 3" by 5" by 3" and is resting on a 5" by 7" base. I'm a "power carver" and use a Mastercarver flex-shaft tool for 99.9% of all my carvings. Once in a while I need to clean edges and use an Exacto knife.
 
 
 
"Stitch" will be on his stomach relaxing on the ground reading a book.
 
 
"Stitch's" big ears did me in on the first attempt. I made sure to leave plenty of wood this time around.
 
 
At last, I can refine his features.
 
 
 
Give him his book!
 
Add some color and put the pieces together....
 
 
 
 
It's always a great feeling when you finish a piece... especially after the second try!