Tuesday, November 20, 2012

"Cappi"

Just finished my first "commissioned" piece. Our good friends, Darlene and Buzz, have neighbors who recently lost their long time pet Cocker Spaniel and wanted to give them something very special. Knowing how much a pet means to a person she asked if I would carve a likeness of their pet "Cappi." I was humbled that she asked me to carve their pet but I am somewhat apprehensive because I carve "caricatures." Caricature carving gives a carver a great deal of "freedom of expression" and you don't have to "stay in the lines" (so to speak).

So with trepidation, I began "Cappi"....

I choose a photo of "Cappi" that required a larger piece of wood than my usual 3"X3"X12" basswood. I also changed the type of wood. Based on the suggestions of some friends on the Woodcarving Illustrated Forum, I purchased Tupelo wood that comes in 4"X4"X12" blocks. Tupelo wood is similar to basswood but finishes better for rotary tool carving.

Overall, the finished piece is 5 1/2" long, 41/2" high and just under 4" wide.

The new size fit well with the position I selected for "Cappi."
Now to reduce the excess wood.
Below, all the "cut offs" are slide to one side for emphasis.
Then, it's carving time...
Next we put him on a base.
As mentioned in an earlier post, I want to keep my carving set-up small. I don't have the space (nor do I want the expense of a full woodworking shop layout), so I make up a base the best way I can.
Below, "Cappi" will be glued into a flat piece of wood, then "Cappi" and his base are glued to another (fancier) base from Michael's (really inexpensive).
Above are the two sections of "Cappi's" base.
Add his name to the base....


...and now, to make him come alive (gulp)...
.
.
.
.
.
Here is the real "Cappi."
The real test is to see just how close I carved "Cappi" to the owners memory of him.
I'll be waiting to hear their reaction when Darlene and Buzz gives "Cappi" to his new owners!

Darlene did a great deal of undercover work for this piece. She had to get the photo (even a second one because I didn't have any real detail from the first photo). Then we had a question about the spelling of his name. She did an awesome job!

Receiving "Cappi" will be a total surprise to the owners, Bob and Linda.