Thursday, December 22, 2011

"Francis the Ladybug"

The latest carving is "Francis the Ladybug" from the Disney movie "A Bugs Life." "Francis" is going home with a true Ladybug lover. I know he'll have a special place of honor and will never have to defend himself from any teasing from any bug again.
He started out in a solid piece of basswood.
I picked this picture because his arms and features were larger for carving ease.
I try to do a decent job of sketching the piece on the front and one side. Then, I use "guidelines" on the rear and side to identify my carving limits as I reduce the image throughout the "rough-out" stage.
Then its time to get carving.
I work to remove the excess wood for the entire image first.
I got to the above point and realized I didn't want to make his overall shape that much smaller. A few aspects of the carving made it difficult to keep his head and neck in prospective to his body if I reduced his body shell. So, I had to give thought to the base he was standing on.
I decided to remove the base and make his body shell more pronounced rather than "bury" it into the wood base.
I cut his base off. That meant I'd need to glue his feet to the base. I added a "tip" of a blade of grass.
Now, if I can pull this off, I can add more to the "story." (You'll understand when you see him completed.)
Now the finishing touches...

Then a face and antenna...

Now you have "Francis" standing on the tip of a blade of grass ready to fight for his honor!